Monday, June 1, 2009

WOW



I dont even know where to begin! Well let me begin by saying that the Dominican is amazing. It is honestly everything that I thought it would be and so much more. The first day that I got here I quickly noticed how different the smell was in a different country. We've been keeping so busy each day. The first full day here we were able to go into the town of Bobita and meet all of the locals. They were all so hospitable! It is truly incredible how even though there homes were made from their own hands, and most of their belongings are things they have found or have been pasted down to them. Yet they will offer you their best so that you feel welcome. I really enjoyed getting to meet everyone, I think that I'm going to have the opportunity to go through town tomorrow to see everyone again :) We were also able to go into Rio San Juan to help with Vickie's (another one of the missionaries) Princessa group of girls. They were doing a spa for their mother's for the Dominican Mother's Day. Me and Haley (the other girl intern) talked to some of the girls and painted their nails. When I say talk, I mean one word conversations that I slowly tried to translate from Spanish to English haha. But non the less and am very glad that I had Spanish last semester, it has definitely helped me get a jump start on learning the language. Then yesterday we had church, all in Spanish of course, and then went to la PLAYA (beach). Honestly seeing this beach was like nothing I have ever seen before. The water is incredibly clear with so many different variations of colors of blue and green. It was incredible. I would put pictures on here but I dont have my camera connector. Then today we spent about four to five hours painting the groups dormitories because they are coming in tomorrow. Then we got to go back to the beach. Me and Rosemary, one of the girls in the children's home, got to talk and hike up in the woods along the beach. It truly is incredible being in a different country and out of your element because your really just don't realize how much you have until you see people with so much less. It really makes me question what makes me worthy of such a wealthy life. I am so incredibly excited to see what this summer holds and what the Lord is going to teach me. I am grateful for all of your prayers and I will continue to keep you updated.
Love,
Audrey

1 comment: