Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Latest

Forgive the ridiculous length between my last post until now! I can't believe it has taken me so long. Many things have happened since I last updated. Everything with Manna Christian School has been going really well! The first 8 weeks we had English immersion and I taught English for 2 hours each day. Now that English immersion has ended, I teach Monday and Wednesday afternoons and continue to do my discipling time each day with my 3 girls. As there are probably countless things I could blog about, instead of trying to cover them all, I wanted to hit a highlight or two.

About a month ago, I had the opportunity to spend the night at Jailinne's house, one of my disciples. We had such a fun night and next day activities planned. After Club Chiquito on Friday Jailinne, Graisy, Estefany, and I went over to Jailinne's house to get ready for the fun evening ahead! Going back to my teenage days we tried on probably at least 5 different outfits until we all found just the right one. Then we went out for pizza and to watch the basketball game in town. It was interesting being with them in their own environment. Normally, they know me as 'teacher Audrey' or 'discipler Audrey' but it was nice to have this time were we could just be friends and enjoy our time together. Before the game started, we went to the park right next to the court and took probably 100 pictures with all kinds of different poses. They LOVE having their picture taken and looking at each and everyone after. We had a lot of fun and I'm sure entertained anyone and everyone who walked by. Then we watched the basketball game and headed back home later that evening. Jailinne, Graisy, and I had a real sleepover where we all crammed into a bed much too small for the three of us, and watched The Princess and the Frog. The next day we woke up and headed over to Milagros' house (Graisy's mother) and spent the morning with  her. I was able to go watch her get her hair rolled and just spend some time talking to her. Then Graisy cooked us her famous Dominican spaghetti, which was our first lunch of the day. Then we walked back to Jailinne's house where her father had also cooked us a lunch consisting of beef and all kinds of different vegetables. I was beyond stuffed by this point, but I thought it was really sweet that they both wanted to feed us.

After lunch we went to The Beach of the Dead (there is a graveyard there) and looked for grapes. We were actually able to find some and they were pretty tasty! We enjoyed some time just swimming in the ocean and spending time together. You could imagine by this point I was pretty checked out of Spanish after trying to translate in my head over the previous 12 hours, but nonetheless, I tried to keep up. Then we went swimming in the laguna and I continued to take pictures as they jumped into the water. Not soon after, I headed back to the outreach center and Evan picked me up. Even though I was completely exhausted after not a good nights sleep and trying to speak and understand Spanish over the previous 24 hours, I was really blessed to be with the girls in their own environment. It was complete immersion! They were really sweet trying to take care of me and make sure I was as comfortable as possible. They are good girls and I love them a lot! Here are some pictures...








No comments:

Post a Comment