Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The here and now...

Well here I am in the Dominican Republic! It is exciting and surreal at the same time to think I have no return ticket to the United States. I am here. I arrived in the Dominican on June 9th, my wonderful mothers 50th birthday, and am now in this whirlwind one would call mission work. When I first arrived I obviously got to see all my girls and all the kids and shared lots of hugs and kisses with them. It was also exciting to arrive to a room to call my own with a bed already in place. I spent my second day here just getting settled in. It was so nice to have a morning to just get settled in. I folded all my clothes, put up my shelves, got a little bedside table for my journals and pictures, and have desk for all my books. It really does look like my own little room.

It is hard for me to believe that I am officially on the mission field. I feel as though I have so many things I should be doing and praying for and at times just thinking about it all can be somewhat overwhelming. However, I am determined to take it one day at a time. I am so excited for what the future holds for my teenage girls in Rio San Juan. There are three specifically that I will be discipling and spending time with. Their names are Estefanie, Graisy, and Jailinne. I have been praying for them a lot lately and this morning in my quite time I was able to really spend some time talking to God about them. This summer, while groups are here, I want to spend my time really building our relationship. I am hoping for them to be leaders in the Princesas program (my small bible study group of girls from the city) when I set that ministry underway.

With all the momentum and excitement I have right now in arriving to the DR, I want to make sure that I pace myself. I have always had the tendency to get in way over my head and I want to do this right. The Lord is doing such amazing things here right now. It is as if each of these kids were placed before us so purposefully and they all have such potential. Each team member and myself are so passionate about devoting ourselves to bettering their lives and their futures. It really is an incredible undertaking though. To be completely honest, I have felt overwhelmed with just the incredible task before me and whether or not I am capable of being what Christ needs me to be for them. I am trying to spend as much time talking to Christ about this as possible and I do feel confident that He can use me. I am so blessed to have this opportunity and it is truly where he has called me to be.

Please pray for our team as we are pushing forward in our different areas of ministry. Please pray for me and my transition on to the mission field and my progression in how I am building this ministry with these girls. Pray for our students/disciples and that Christ’s seed will be planted so deep within them.
God has some incredible plans for this place and these people and I am so blessed to be a small piece in that.

I love you all and will keep you updated as often as I can.
Love,
Audrey

2 comments:

  1. God has given you a special talent and heart for the work in the DR. I know He will do great things through you.

    Your brother in Christ,

    Randy Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught up with your blog. You can't do it Audrey but our incredibly, big God can, does and will through you. I love you so much and am praying for you and all the precious people whose lives you touch. So excited to see His plans for your life continue to unfold. Looking forward to your next post!

    Pray for our teens as they go to Impact in Houston next week to love on inner city kids. It'll get them ready for next summer in the DR! :)

    Have to tell you, you would have been so proud of Caullen! He did an amazing job leading worship for our kids at camp. If you go to the lake cities website and click on kidz call and then kidz faith photos you can see the pictures of him leading. Precious! Love you sweet girl and praying for you often! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete